THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FORM A BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN EXPLORZE and THE LEAD HIRER who is named on all documents relating to the hire.
These terms and conditions may be updated at any time without notice, these were last updated on 24th September 2022.
EXPLORZE is a trading name of Empire Distribution International Ltd and is also referred to as “EXPLORZE” “Us” “Our” and “Operator” throughout. Hirer is also referred to “Customer” “Client” and “You” throughout.
- CONTRACT BETWEEN CUSTOMER AND OPERATOR
By using the website EXPLORZE.co.uk and by taking a hire vehicle belonging to EXPLORZE you are accepting these terms and conditions. Please read this entire document thoroughly and carefully. If there is anything you do not understand or do not agree with, please ask EXPLORZE. Please also refer to the Privacy Notice on our website.
- BOOKING CONFIRMATION AND PAYMENT
A payment of £195 is required up front to confirm the booking or full price of holiday if total is less than £195; this is non-refundable and enters the hirer and the operator into a binding contract for the hire. The balance is payable in full six weeks prior to day one of your hire, or at the time of booking if booked under six weeks from the start date (you will receive an email shortly after booking to request the balance).
A security deposit of £1000 is payable on the collection day and you agree to EXPLORZE retaining this and even charging more after your return if damage is reported or discovered. This is explained in more detail in section 16 of these terms and conditions.
ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHODS: Bank transfer or credit/debit card. Please note all security deposits are payable by way of pre authorising a credit/debit card.
Any documentation you are requested to provide by EXPLORZE must be received by the deadlines requested or within two days of booking if less than six weeks from the start date of your hire, you can submit your driver details via https://explorze.co.uk/submit-driver-details. This includes your driving Licence number, a check code from DVLA and the relevant utility bills / proof of address documents. Proof of address documents are described more fully in section 17 of these terms and conditions.
Hirer is responsible for generating the DVLA check code from the DVLA website. Full instructions on how to obtain the check code can be found on the DVLA website. Please telephone us if you need assistance with this so that we can guide you through it, as it is a strict requirement of the insurance company that this check be carried out, and we are not allowed to release the vehicle without it. Failure to provide full payment and documents as above will result in the booking being cancelled and the loss of all monies already paid. Drivers must be aged between 21 and 79 years of age and have held a full driving Licence valid for the relevant vehicle for at least 2 years prior to the commencement of the hire. The price we quote for the hire will be for vehicle rental and main driver insurance only, additional drivers may be added for £50 per hire and must produce the same ID documents and DVLA check code as main driver. Please note: driver insurance is not travel insurance.
We accept Full UK, EU, AU, US, CA, NZ & SA licence types. International driving licences but must have these signed off by our insurance underwriters before booking.
- CANCELLATION BY THE HIRER
All cancellations should be notified in writing to EXPLORZE. Please call EXPLORZE immediately to inform them as this will improve the chances of re-hiring and recovering any monies already paid.
If notification of your cancellation is received more than six weeks before the start date of your hire, you will be refunded in full less the booking deposit and a £50 admin fee.
If notification of your cancellation is received between 6 weeks and the start date of your hire, the total hire fee will be forfeited.
EXPLORZE will do all it can to re-hire the campervan and if they are able to do so, you will be refunded up to a maximum of your total hire less your initial booking deposit and a £50 admin fee, subject to the amount of time and money EXPLORZE is able to re-hire the campervan for.
Distance Selling Regulations: The Booking of a Vehicle hire online is protected, in part, by the distance selling regulations that protects and provides the Hirer with UK consumer rights.
However, campervan hire is considered the same as booking for services such as car hire, booking a flight or theatre tickets, meaning it is exempt from the distance selling regulation protection that entitles the Hirer to a 7-day cooling off period. Therefore, once the Booking is confirmed by EXPLORZE there is no entitlement to a refund if the Hirer subsequently cancels.
- COLLECTION AND RETURN TIMES
Collections and Returns are to Explorze Campervan Hire, Smithfield Road, Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9 1EW (next to Barbers Rural). You may leave one vehicle here if required. If leaving a vehicle with us it will be at your own risk and you agree to leave the keys to your vehicle to enable it to be moved in case of emergency. Your keys will be stored securely in a safe in the EXPLORZE office for the duration of your hire.
Unless otherwise agreed with EXPLORZE, the campervan will be available on the day of hire from the agreed time and location and must be delivered back to the agreed time and location on the last day of hire.
Collection time is between 3pm and 5PM and drop off time is beteween 8.30am and 11am, please note we will book a collection time slot with you between the times of 3pm and 5pm, it is important you arrive on time so not to delay other collections, please note these are the times we hand keys over.
Please allow 30 minutes for handover and demonstration of the vehicle on collection day and enough time on return of the vehicle to empty personal belongings, you must hand the keys back to us no later than 11am otherwise charges will apply.
Vehicles must be returned clean, in the same condition as received on handover, with the toilet cassette emptied and rinsed out, waste/grey water emptied and a full tank of fuel. If this is not the case, applicable charges will apply. An extensive list of penalties is included in this document.
You must refill the fuel in Market Drayton, the nearest fuel station is Morrison’s, Maer Ln, Market Drayton TF9 3AL (1 mile)
- LATE COLLECTIONS
If hirer arrives more than 30 minutes late for collection / handover a penalty of £50 will be applied per hour in advance. All drivers must be present for the handover and demonstration.
- LATE RETURNS
If a vehicle is returned more than 30 minutes later than arranged, a penalty of £50 will be applied per hour in advance.
Bearing in mind the necessary safety checks, vehicles need to be cleaned, maintained & ready for collection by the next hirer, timings are crucial to a smooth turnaround.
Occasionally campervans are not available as agreed due to events beyond the campervan operator’s control (see point number 6). If your booking must be cancelled (which EXPLORZE reserve the right to do) EXPLORZE will offer you the choice of an alternative, or, if no suitable replacement is available, provide a refund in accordance with point number 3: Cancellations.
- EVENTS BEYOND OUR CONTROL
Events beyond our control occasionally affect bookings. When reference is made to such events in these Conditions of Hire, this means any event(s) or circumstance(s) which we could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. We cannot accept responsibility or pay any compensation, costs or expenses where the performance of your contract with the campervan operator is prevented or affected, or you otherwise suffer any loss or damage as a result of events beyond our control. This includes any delays to and/or restrictions to your hire to which you may be subject. However, if your booking must be cancelled, we will of course offer you the choice of an alternative campervan (if available) or refund as described above.
Extensive and methodical tests are carried out prior to each individual hire to ensure all systems are in working order at the start of the hire period. Should any item, including water, gas and electricity malfunction during the hire period, this is beyond our control. There is always a comprehensive user manual in the campervan to guide the hirer, as well as free phone number and emergency telephone number supplied. We also publish informational videos on our website which can be always viewed, indeed hirers are encouraged to watch these prior to collection to assist in learning and a timely handover.
- SUITABLE PERSONS
The campervan operator has the right to refuse to hand over a campervan to any person who, in the reasonable opinion of the campervan operator, is not suitable to take charge. In such cases, all hire charges paid will be forfeited, and the campervan operator has no further liability.
Dogs are charged at £20, but strictly limited to a maximum of 2 SMALL/MEDIUM dogs (sorry no cats), if you wish to bring a dog along, please ensure they are kept off the upholstery, seats, furniture and beds and the vehicle is returned pet hair free and pet smell free, failing this you will be liable cleaning charges.
Smoking in the campervan is not allowed, any infringement will incur a full deposit forfeit. It is illegal to smoke in a commercial vehicle.
- BED LINEN AND TOWELS
Bed linen, pillows and towels are not provided. These should be covered with hirers own clean bottom sheet and clean top bedding or clean sleeping bags.
- RENTAL PERIOD
You will have responsibility and full use of the vehicle for the rental period shown in the agreement. If the vehicle isn’t returned on time, you are breaking the conditions of this agreement which may invalidate the insurance. See item no.4 for collection and return times.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HIRER
Hirer must look after the vehicle and the keys to the vehicle. Hirer must keep vehicle locked when not in use and use any security device fitted to or supplied with the vehicle. Hirer should always protect the vehicle against bad weather which can cause damage. Hirer should make sure that the correct fuel is used. Hirer is responsible for any damage to the vehicle caused by hitting low level objects, such as bridges or low branches.
Hirer should not sell, rent or dispose of the vehicle or any of its parts. Hirer must not give anyone any legal rights over the vehicle.
Hirer should not let anyone work on the vehicle without EXPLORZE’s permission. If EXPLORZE do grant permission, a refund will be given if a receipt for the work is provided. Receipts will be checked.
Hirer must let the operator know immediately of any fault in the vehicle or any damages or breakages, however small. Regardless of any blame, we need to be prepared if items need repairing or replacing for the subsequent hire. Reporting faults, damages or breakages prior to returning the vehicle will save you money as penalties are applied if you do not report them.
Hirer should return vehicle to the place agreed, at the time agreed and remain responsible for the vehicle until this time. The operator must see the vehicle to check that it is in good condition.
Hirer will be responsible for payment of repairs if:
- The vehicle needs more than standard changeover valeting (cleaning) including upholstery, furniture & floors.
- Hirer has damaged any part of the vehicle, inside or out, habitational, or mechanical.
Hirer should return vehicle empty of personal belongings. If any personal belongings are found after hirer has left, we shall keep them to one side and arrange contact with the hirer to collect, we cannot be held responsible for personal belongings left and will not be held liable.
Hirer is responsible for any loss or damage including that caused by neglect, misuse, accident or not your fault. If the hirer is found to have damaged the vehicle through negligence, and/or no other vehicle was involved, the hirer will be responsible for FULL RECTIFICATION COSTS.
Items not covered by insurance include interior fitments, spills or damage to upholstery, front and rear bumpers, roof lights, windows, wing mirrors and external doors, vehicle engine, incorrect fuel or fuel contamination, fuel in the freshwater system and running out of fuel, freshwater in the fuel system and all charges resulting from these points.
- PENALTIES PER HIRE
- Toilet un-emptied and/or un-cleaned – £50
- Damaged or stained furniture /upholstery each – Must be quoted
- Missing or broken fixtures & fittings each – Must be quoted
- Missing or broken contents each – Must be quoted
- Collection over 30 minutes later than arranged – £50 per hour in advance
- Return over 30 minutes later than arranged – £50 per hour in advance
- Deep clean to remove evidence of smoking – Must be quoted
- Excessively dirty campervan – Must be quoted
- Lost Keys – Must be quoted
- Excessive damage to interior or exterior – Must be quoted
- Any incident resulting in an insurance claim – Must be quoted
- Vehicle abandonment – £2,000 UK / £10,000 outside of UK
The cost of damages to any part of the vehicle not covered by the insurance will be deducted from the £security deposit. If the cost of damages exceeds the security deposit, hirer is liable to pay up to a maximum of £2000 and will be invoiced accordingly for the outstanding amount.
In the event of any damages that are covered by the insurance, £2000 will be required to be paid by the hirer for the insurance excess and administration. Claiming on the insurance will be at the Operator’s discretion.
In the event of an insurance claim and there being further damages not covered by the insurance, hirer will be liable to pay additionally up to a maximum of £2000.
EXPLORZE has an appointed garage where all mechanical works are carried out. This is because an arrangement is in place whereby the appointed garage will carry out the work at short notice to prevent any interruption to subsequent hires.
- CONCEALED DAMAGES DISCOVERED AFTER HIRE
Hirers are responsible for any breakages or damages that were concealed and not reported upon return of the vehicle. Extensive checks are carried out, but it is not always possible to discover every fault until the vehicle is demonstrated at the handover of the next hirer, and sometimes at the start of the next hirer’s holiday. If a fault is discovered at this point you will be invoiced and expected to pay by the deadline given as part of these terms and conditions. If you find a fault, damage or breakage that you believe to have been caused by a previous hirer you have until 24 hours from your collection to report it to us.
- CONDITIONS FOR USING THE VEHICLE
The vehicle must only be driven by named drivers on the hire insurance policy. Anyone driving the vehicle must have held a full valid driving licence for at least 2 years. All drivers must not:
- Use the vehicle for hire or reward.
- Use the vehicle for any illegal purpose.
- Drive in excess of speed limits.
- Drive on any roads/surface other than sealed tarmac or hard standing/solid ground.
- Use the vehicle for racing, pace making, testing the vehicle’s reliability and speed or teaching someone to drive.
- Drive on beaches or bogged grass/fields or submerse in water or saltwater.
- Use the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Overload the vehicle.
- Carry on board any fireworks, corrosive or flammable products, gases and hazardous liquids other than gas canisters in the sealed compartment, this includes barbeque lighting fluid and self-lighting/disposable barbecues.
- Hide or conceal any damage that has occurred by yourself to any part of the vehicle especially in instances where damage may not be instantly visibly obvious.
- The total number of people that can be carried in the vehicle is limited to the total number of seatbelts fitted. This is a legal requirement – do not carry anyone who is not using a seatbelt.
Charges are based on the EXPLORZE price list at the time of booking. Hirer will be charged for:
- The rental and any other charges we deem payable according to this agreement.
- A charge for any loss or damage to the campervan including that caused by neglect, misuse, accident or not your fault, subject to the cover provided by the hire insurance.
- You must empty and rinse out the toilet cassette at the end of the hire period. There is a £50 charge for un-emptied / un-cleaned cassettes. Do not leave water in the cassette or it will be assumed it was not fully emptied.
- All fines and costs (including court costs) for parking, traffic or other offences, congestion charges, (including any costs which arise if the vehicle is clamped or impounded including loss of income costs). You must pay the appropriate authority any fines and costs when the authority demands. If you do not, you will be responsible to pay any costs and reasonable administration charges which arise when EXPLORZE deal with these matters.
- Any charges arising from Customs and Excise or Immigration Authorities seizing the vehicle, together with a loss-of-income charge while the Operator cannot rent out the vehicle and any refunds owed to hirers who cannot use the vehicle whilst it is seized, when EXPLORZE demand this payment.
- Interest which will be added every day to any amount you do not pay on time, at the rate of 4% a year above the base lending rate of Natwest Bank from time to time.
- Value added tax and all other taxes on any of the charges listed above, as appropriate. You are responsible for all charges, even if you have asked someone else to be responsible for them.
- Any other fees/charges including costs incurred by EXPLORZE as a result of breach of these terms & conditions.
- Daily rental period costs for loss of hire if a vehicle is off hire for accident repairs as a result of damage by you.
BE AWARE THAT IF YOU RENDER THE VEHICLE AS UNFIT OR UNAVAILABLE FOR HIRE FOR ANY HIRES AFTER YOURS, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST OF ANY REFUNDS OWED TO THOSE FUTURE HIRERS.
- SECURITY BOND (DAMAGES DEPOSIT)
A security deposit of £1000 is payable before collection of the campervan. Damage to the campervan (externally, internally or mechanically) will be deducted from this deposit to cover costs of repairs/fitments or the insurance claims excess as described in these terms and conditions.
You agree that the deposit is payable in full as a condition of hire, payment to be made to EXPLORZE when collecting the vehicle and is payable via credit or debit card by way of pre authorising the amount against the card.
You agree to the damages deposit being retained by EXPLORZE if, on return of the hire vehicle, it is found that damage or losses have been incurred. In such an event, the deposit is retained by EXPLORZE who will place it in its account until the claim or dispute is settled. The amount for the repair/s or item/s will be kept by EXPLORZE with the balance of the deposit (if any) refunded to you. The damages deposit will be returned in full to the hirer if it is found that there is no damage to the vehicle upon completion of full inspection and subject to other penalties or pre agreed arrangements, such as fuel refilling fee for example.
- THE HIRE INSURANCE
The campervan is insured for the period of the hire (except in the event of negligence).
Driver insurance is not travel insurance and we advise that you purchase specific travel insurance for the duration of your hire.
You also agree to the following rules dictated by our insurance:
Hirer agrees to operator verifying the identity and permanent address of all and any permitted driver by taking and retaining copies of the following documents from each hirer/driver:
- Driving Licence Photo Card
- Online DVLA Licence Check
- TWO separate utility bills which must be dated within 90 days of the hire start date. Full details of documents accepted for insurance are listed on the insurance requirements webpage. Please, at the time of booking, ensure that each driver will be able to produce these. There are no exceptions to the accepted documents and failure to produce the correct proof of address documents when they are requested will result in loss of hire without refund.
The vehicle shall not be let out on hire to, or be driven by:
- Persons who have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle and/or have had their Licence endorsed or suspended or more than 6 penalty points imposed. Spent convictions covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 may be disregarded at the discretion of the operator.
- Persons who had their insurance declined and/or renewal refused and/or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience and/or have had their insurance or cover cancelled by any motor insurer.
- Persons whilst driving have had no more than one fault or outstanding incident/claim in the last three years
- The vehicle may only be driven by hirers and other permitted drivers who have completed a driver submission form and signed a hire agreement. These documents must be completed by the hirer and other permitted drivers in all respects.
- The vehicle shall not be used for the carriage of goods of an explosive, dangerous or hazardous nature or for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire and reward.
- Items not covered by insurance: Overhead cab damage, gross negligence, internal damage, associated damage costs, windscreen and windows damage, wing mirror damage, tyre damage, fuel tank contamination, freshwater tank contamination.
- WHAT TO DO IF YOU BREAK DOWN
No responsibility can be accepted by EXPLORZE for any loss or damage or expense which occurs as a result of any defect or breakdown unless it is due to a proven reason of the operator’s failure to adequately maintain the campervan in a fit state and condition. If you do breakdown, you should contact the breakdown service that covers the vehicle and inform EXPLORZE immediately – details in the hiring manual which is stored in the vehicle and pointed out to the hirer during the handover.
- WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT
No responsibility can be accepted by EXPLORZE for any loss or damage or expense which occurs as a result of any accident, regardless of blame. If you have an accident, you must not admit responsibility. You should obtain and record the vehicle registration number, insurance company, names and addresses of everyone involved and inform them that any future correspondence with them or their insurers should be addressed to EXPLORZE. You should also record the names and addresses of any witnesses. Accident forms are available in the hirer’s manual for keeping records and noting down details. You must also:
- Make the vehicle secure
- If appropriate and safe to do so, take photographs
- Tell the police straight away if anyone is injured or there is a disagreement over who is responsible; and
- Contact EXPLORZE as soon as you can safely do so
- You must produce an accident report and send a copy to EXPLORZE, the form is provided in the hiring pack. You will also be required to assist EXPLORZE in handling any claim that should arise.
- WINDSCREENS AND TYRES
You are responsible for any damage to windscreens and windows, punctures or other damage to tyres during the period of the hire. Where possible it should be repaired or replaced as appropriate with genuine manufacturer’s parts and paid for by you at the time. You should contact EXPLORZE to seek instructions before carrying out the repair. Failing this, an amount will be deducted from your deposit against damages for the cost of the repairs. Do not attempt to drive a damaged campervan, please telephone EXPLORZE for advice.
If you break the agreement, we can give the information you have provided to credit reference agencies, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), debt collectors, the police and any other relevant organisation. We can also give this information to the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA), who can pass it on to any of its members for any purpose stated in the Data Protection Act 1998.
- ENDING THE AGREEMENT
If you are a consumer, we will end this agreement straight away if we find out that your belongings have been taken away from you to pay off your debts, or a receiving order has been made against you. We will also end this agreement if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement.
If you are a company, we will end this agreement straight away if:
- You go into liquidation.
- You call a meeting of creditors.
- We find out that your goods have been taken away from you until you pay off your debts.
- You do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement
If we end the agreement, it will not affect our right to receive any money we are owed under the conditions of this agreement. We can also claim extra costs from you if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement. We can repossess the vehicle and charge you if we do this.
- GOVERNING LAW
This agreement is governed by the laws of the country in which it is signed. Any dispute may be settled in the courts of that country.
- PANDEMIC OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE
Pandemics can cause sudden, widespread morbidity and mortality as well as social, political, and economic disruption in the event of pandemic or infectious disease being identified. We reserve the right to close our operation down for an unlimited time after taking expert advice (normally the Government’s recommendations).
FULL LOCKDOWN CONDITIONS
- If government lockdown restrictions are in place when your hire is to commence, Explorze will offer to move your hire to a different date or offer a refund for monies paid less a £50 admin fee.
- If different parts of the country are placed into different tier systems but Explorze can open in their tier, then Explorze can still offer a hire service.
- If a customer is placed into a tier system that restricts their travel, preventing them from collecting a campervan. Explorze will offer an alternative date for their hire but no refunds will be given.
- If Explorze are placed into a tier system that restricts them from opening to customers, then full lockdown conditions apply.
- Explorze are not responsible for where a customer is heading with a campervan.
- If an area, event, or festival you are travelling to has restrictions, but other areas are open to travel, Explorze expect your hire to commence. If you wanted to cancel your hire due to local restrictions, our standard cancellation terms and conditions would apply.
- All customers are advised by our standard terms and conditions to have travel/holiday insurance in place before making a booking with Explorze.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- Full terms & conditions are always published on our website.
- Campervan Hire driver insurance is not travel insurance and therefore it is strongly recommended that you take out your own personal travel insurance policy to cover all eventualities as EXPLORZE does not cover this.
- EXPLORZE own all their vehicles themselves and are not an agent for private owners’ campervan rentals.
- EXPLORZE reserve the right to amend these Terms & Conditions at any time and without notice.
- Accepting these terms and conditions does waive any right to sue EXPLORZE for loss of hire/holiday and any associated costs. By booking your campervan hire with EXPLORZE you are agreeing to all the Terms and Conditions above.
- You are also authorising EXPLORZE to irrevocably recover any monies due to them from damages deposits or credit/debit card details in the event of any damage/loss incurred to the campervan whilst on hire to you.